Monday, August 22, 2011

Random Stuffed Pepper Recipe with Peaches and Mangoes


AKA:
Oops My Peaches and Mangos are Ripe, I Have Peppers, Quinoa and Tofu in the Fridge, Corn on the Cob in the Veggie Bowl. Plus My Roommate Left Wild Rice Soaking!!! (VEGAN)

Long title for this recipe but that is really how it came about.

So hard to choose. Salad? Appetizer? Main Dish?
The story goes, I’m home. Need to make dinner. Working on a Blog idea for TVeg. (It follows a lot of the ingredients in the recipe so subscribe at That’s Vegetarian Blog to get it later this week!) Was going to go the easy route with pasta, capers, white wine, and garlic but then the mango and peaches were ripe. Had to do something, STAT!!! Dinner was created. It is a perfect recipe to use the sweet summer mangoes and ripe peaches.  
I looked at what else I had in my fridge:
  • Diced onions
  • Cooked quinoa
  • Extra firm tofu
  • Celery
  • Pasilla and red peppers
  • Garlic
My roommate had some wild rice soaking on the stove (don’t tell her I used some). I just kind of threw everything together and wanted to share it. I can’t even tell you how good it was. That is the fun of experimenting and cooking in the kitchen. There are many websites you can go to, put in what ingredients you have, and they will pop out a recipe. If you have questions, give me a try and I’ll be glad to give it a whirl. It is amazing what you can make out of everything but the kitchen sink!!!


As it is, it is Vegan. I didn’t have the right cheese in the house but I believe a Manchego or Cream Cheese would go really well in the peppers. I had it with some Viognier and Sauvignon Blanc, one leftover bottle to the next, and they both worked well especially with the spiciness of the pasilla pepper (I didn’t get all the seeds out).


Watch the video, print the recipe, prepare any one of the dishes and you’ll find yourself saying “That’s Vegetarian?!”

RANDOM STUFFED PEPPERS RECIPE

1 cup cooked wild rice
2/3 c cooked quinoa
8 oz extra firm tofu, extra water squeezed out and crumbled
2 peaches, diced
1 mango, diced
1/2 cup onion, diced and roasted
1 ear of corn, kernels sliced off
1 celery stalk, diced
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 T chili powder
1/4 t cayenne powder
1/2 lime, juiced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
6 peppers (yellow, red, orange, green, or pasilla), cored and seeds removed
Olive oil

Prepare the corn and onion then roast in the oven for about 10 minutes at 350F.

Meanwhile, prepare the other ingredients.  Mix the rice, quinoa, tofu, peaches, mango, onion, corn, celery, garlic, chili powder, cayenne powder, lime juice, salt and pepper together in a bowl. * 

Stuff the mixture into the peppers.   Spray with olive oil.  Any left over stuffing can be eaten as is.  Tofu doesn’t need to be cooked.  It makes a great side salad and it is chock full of protein.

Roast in oven at 400F for about 15 minutes, rotating half way through.   Broil for about 3 minutes, rotating half way through.   Experiment on the grill or a on a grill pan.

*Cream cheese or manchego would be a wonderful addition for those of you who do dairy.

Prep Time:15 min
Cook time:  20 min quinoa, 35 min rice, 10 min corn and onions, 18 min stuffed peppers.  With multitasking total should be around 55 minutes depending on the rice.
Difficulty level: Moderate
Serves 6
4pp

No comments:

Post a Comment