Saturday, July 2, 2011

Mango Lime Coleslaw - VEGAN

First and foremost - Happy 4th of July to my fellow Americans!!

I was home the other night with cabbage, mangoes and limes and a desperate need for dinner. I looked in my cupboard to see what else I had to add and found some hearts of palm, avocado oil, and honey. Mango Lime Coleslaw was created. It is a light and easy to prepare vegan dish plus it keeps well for a few days!

I decided to use the coleslaw in tacos. I squirted a couple of corn tortillas with lime juice, sprinkled chili powder and salt, then baked them for about 5 minutes on 350F to warm them up. I used 1/8c of black beans, 2T salsa, and then 1/8c of the coleslaw to complete. It was a superb summer evening meal accompanied with some anejo tequila on the rocks.

Remember to sign up on: Find us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter, View our videos on YouTube and sign up for our newsletter at That's Vegetarian. Currently, we are pairing each That's Vegetarian recipe with wines from the BevMo 5 Cent Sale. It makes sense for those of us in California and parts of Arizona. For my Buffalo peeps, I could do the same when Premier is having their sale. Let me know when "that" store in your neck of the woods has their wine sale and Sherrie Smith, TVeg's Official Sommelier, and I can pair those wines for you with our recipes.

Go to That's Vegetarian and watch one (or all) of the recipe videos, print the recipe(s), and prepare any one of the dishes. You'll find yourself saying"That's Vegetarian?!"

Mango Lime Coleslaw (VEGAN)

4c Cabbage, cut into 1/4" wide by 2" pieces
1/8c Lime juice, fresh squeezed
2 Mangoes, 1/2" cubes
1/2c Hearts of palm, 1/2" cubes or slices
1 Cucumber, 1/2" cubes
1 Tomato, 1/4" cubes
2 Green onions, thinly sliced including green part
1T Sal y Pimienta Avocado Oil or olive oil
1T Honey
Salt and pepper to taste

Simply prepare the ingredients as indicated and mix together.

Tastes great right away or keep in the fridge overnight.

Serve as a side or on tortillas with black beans and salsa.

Prep Time: 15 min
Serves 8 as an appetizer
(1pp)

No comments:

Post a Comment