That’s Vegetarian – Udder Choices Besides “Milk”
The hot topic these days seems to be what “milk” alternative is best. The selections include cow’s milk, soy milk, almond milk, hemp milk, coconut milk, and rice milk, to name a few. People seem to have different reasons for which they choose. Some stick with cow’s milk because that’s what they know. Some find the other alternatives are better because of lactose intolerance, possible hormone additives, and/or being vegan, to name a few.
According to Kristen Rindress, R.D., cow’s milk is beneficial because of the numerous nutrients it provides ~ calcium, protein and Vitamins A, B12 & D. Soy milk is the closest to cow’s milk in the amount of protein and the added nutrients usually provide the additional vitamins and minerals.
With all the alternative milk beverages, it is really important to read the labels. They are all different with flavors, sugars, vitamins, minerals, fat and additives. A brief summary is provided but READ THE LABELS, every brand is different and within the brand there are different products with different compositional make up. Here is a side-by-side comparison to hopefully help put the data in perspective for you.
“What do they taste like? What can I use then instead of dairy?” Well, I’m glad you asked. Here you go:
- Soy Milk~Plain unsweetened is rather bland. You can buy flavored and sweetened soy milk, but that will increase the calories and sugars. Good in savory dishes. Many use in coffee and cereal too.
- Almond Milk~Creamy, rich and slightly nutty. Good in smoothies, coffee and cereal.
- Coconut Milk~Thick, creamy, coconut flavor. Good in coffee, tea, pudding, smoothies, and oatmeal.
- Hemp Milk~Nutty, earthy. Good in potatoes and baked goods.
- Rice Milk~Light, watery, sweet. Good in desserts, baked goods, pancakes and French toast.
I provide the information; it is up to you to choose which alternative works best for you!!!
Browse our previous blogs for information, recipes and video links. Prepare any one of the recipes and you'll find yourself saying "That's Vegetarian?!"
vegan-baking-articles/product- reviews/five-types-of-non- dairy-milk-reviewed.html
green_green_living/food_and_ drink/847876/top_ 10alternatives_to_cows_milk. html
Women's Health, September 2011